- Art History
- Survey of Western Art from Prehistory through the Middle Ages
This course provides an overview of western art and architecture from prehistory through the medieval period.
Completion of or concurrent enrollment in English Composition (C-ID ENGL 100)
This course covers the art and architecture of the following periods:
- Greek through Hellenistic
- Early Christian
- Early Medieval, including Carolingian and Ottonian
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify, examine, and assess representative works of art and architecture from prehistory through the medieval period employing appropriate art historical terminology
- Analyze, discuss, and differentiate works of art and architecture in terms of historical context and cultural values
- Analyze, discuss, and differentiate the roles of art, architecture, and the artist from prehistory through the medieval period
- Written essays and/or research projects
- Essay exams
Methods of evaluation may also include:
- Classroom discussions
- Objective exams
- Projects and presentations
- Classroom Writing Assignments
- Group Assignments
Janson, H. W. History of Art.
Kleiner, Fred S. Gardner’s Art Through the Ages: The Western Perspective.
Stockstad, Marilyn. Art History.
- June 03, 2012
- April 06, 2017
Survey of Western Art from Prehistory through the Middle Ages